.post-title {font-family: ‘Satisfy’ ; }

Friday, February 3, 2012

Finding the Dragons Around Us

It was about time I started a blog. I mean, what normal high school junior doesn't have one? (That's sarcasm for those of you that are unsure. Most high schoolers do not in fact engage in blogging as a favorite past-time.)


As a classic Type - A extrovert, I have a lot of thoughts, and a lot to say about them. I belong to the group of teenagers determined to change the world; you know - the ones with fire in their bellies and passion in their hearts. 


Maybe someone will read this blog, maybe no-one will. 20 years from now though, it will be nice to look back and see where my heart was in my youth. So welcome to my blog.


Let me begin by first explaining the premise of this blog. The name itself, The Land of the Dragon Princesses, is based on a quote from Rainer Maria Rilke: "Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."


My life is filled with both dragons and princesses. I myself am both a dragon and a princess. I am highly likely to lash out with ferocious anger, but I am really just a princess in waiting. I'm waiting for something different, I'm waiting to see other people act with beauty and courage. I'm waiting for a better world and better people, but I'm not just waiting either. I'm acting and doing and loving, but still waiting.


What are the dragons in your life? It's easy to look at the things that challenge us, the things that force us to find courage and strength, and think we need to vanquish them. It's easy to look for evil and wicked dragons, and try to slay them. What is harder though is to look closer and see that our dragons aren't dragons at all. They're princesses in disguise! They don't need to be slayed, they need to be rescued!


When you stop viewing dragons, and start seeing princesses, your life will change forever. You'll no longer see evil people, aggravating and bent on destroying you, instead you'll see princesses trapped in towers. You'll see lonely abandoned princesses, just waiting for someone to rescue them. You'll see that you can give to these princesses exactly what they need:love. You have just enough love to give to them.


This blog is a reflection of my life. I'm challenging myself to stop seeing dragons, and start seeing princesses. This blog will reflect the things that challenge me to hate, and the things that encourage me to love. I want a place to record all the thoughts and dreams that run through my mind, and how I see them in the world. 


I am a dragon princess, fierce and helpless, fiery and gentle. This blog is an invitation to all the dragon princesses out there, an invitation to recognize your own brokenness, and to love the brokenness of other. We are the dragons and the princesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment